Author Topic: In response to Callum's intro request  (Read 781 times)

Peterh

• View Profile
In response to Callum's intro request
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
Hi, all!
 I'm peter from Leeds in West Yorkshire, who is currently (or should I say, desperately) trying to learn land navigation with map and compass.  :-[
 I use a GPS (SatMap) receiver which I have had for four years now and think it's fantastic for our needs as we are only day walkers on the hills and moors of Yorkshire.
 Having said that, I do appreciate the need to know how to get out of trouble with map and compass should ever the need arise. As it did four years ago when we did our first walk around Blubberhouse when unknown to me a 'Pack Horse bridge and other POI on the book root said we should follow had been washed away a month earlier in a freak flash flood and so I got us both lost! Leaving me to pull and push my good lady up and over river cuttings and other difficult terrain by t'arse (as we are apt to say in these parts). And bless her cotton knickers she's a little past her sell-by-date, so not much fun there then. :( - Eee-by-gum she's an evy-un!!!
To cut to the chase, I threw the books int-bin and bought the GPS.
 Thanks for the welcome Cal! Regards. peter

Pete McK

• View Profile
Re: In response to Callum's intro request
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Hi Peter and good to have another member join who threw away the satnav (GPS) booklet that accompanied their expensive investment (There are lots of posting about this in the Satnav section).

I know Leeds well as I was at university there and have happy memories of Whitelock’s in Turk’s Head Yard, an alleyway just off Briggate, who had a fine selection of Ales and visiting last year I was pleased to see the they have kept up this tradition with a great selection of real ales. Gravelys, in the old market, was great for grub, but not sure if it is still on the go now.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
Official welcome now Pete H :) Didn’t know you knew Leeds too Pete Mck. You’r right about good pubs and grub in Leeds, the best being next door to each other. Heading up Churwell Hill, towards Morley, at the top is a great fish & chip and it’s next door to the Nelson pub.

Peterh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:28:31 PM »
Hi, Pete!
 Leeds like many other cities in this green and pleasant land, have seen the demise of many a good pub over the last few years.
 I spoke to Lyle last week and he mentioned a Tetley's strong brew, "Imperial," I think he said and got a little worse for wear on it a few years back. On reflection, it was a brew not many Tetly pubs sold in the Yorkshire area. I think it was brewed especially for the North East in those days but then again, Tetley's isn't anything like it used to be. In fact, it's brewed in The Black Country now.  :o
Regards Pete. peter.