Author Topic: Suunto V Recta  (Read 4858 times)

Alan Breck

• View Profile
Suunto V Recta
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
Firstly many thanks to Lyle for the loan off the Suunto M3.

Now you all have Lyle's book so can I refer you to page 59 which shows the Suunto in all its glory. I'm not therefore going to bore you by going over everything again.

So let's look at the differences....if any.

Let's ignore the scales on the base plates for now. If we do that the base plates are twins. Both are 120mm X 60mm. They are of equal thickness. They weigh the same. Both have the magnifier & the marker holes in exactly the same places.

The compass housings are also identical.

The luminous bezels are the same. The cardinal points are identical. Both have the nice knurled ring for easy operation with gloves.

So differences. The one major difference that I can see is with regard to the compass needles. That on the M3 is larger. It also has pins at either end.

This helps somewhat in keeping the needle steady I.e. it doesn't dip in normal use. I also feel that the M3 needle might be slightly steadier but it's marginal.

So what, at the end of the day, does it come down to? (apart from price !!)
I would say personally that it's just down to aesthetics. The orienting lines & the declination scales are in red in both cases. That refers to the M3 shown on P59 & my Recta. The M3 borrowed from Lyle though has those parts in black. (see pic above)

Onto the base plate. Again I won't bore you with all the scales. See again the pics above & P59. All the markings are in red except the 1 : 50000 scale on the Recta which is in black.

Conclusion: Is there really any difference in the compasses to justify buying one for another. While I've not used either for prolonged hill use I would have to say NO......there is no real discernible difference between them. That's purely my personal view......please  feel free to agree or disagree....

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suunto V Recta
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Nice review the only criticism I have is with your photos. They are in breach of copyright!

OS requires that you purchase a copyright licence to use their maps in any publication including on the Internet. OS are very hot on this and check the web from time to time but it is mainly members of the public that tell on breaches.

I am sure some OS staff come on the forum from time to time so you may get a message asking you to remove the photos.

Maybe Lyle could talk to OS about getting a copyright licence to cover the forum, unusual but they might provide one.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
 Travelling this week so will only occasionally manage to get to Forum.

Alan - Outstanding review!

Great to know there is a well priced alternative to the Suunto model, so personally I would buy the Recta and save money.

Good point Adi re OS, I may be covered under my license agreement for the book. Have to say that in this respect OS were very accommodating.

“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
Hi Lyle

It did cross my mind that they may be covered by the book but I am not sure. I believe it is a separate license for books and Internet. But as you say OS are very accommodating and easy to work with. They are one government department that are actually very helpful.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
Top tip for getting pics of a compass.
If you have a scanner, place compass top side down on the scanner and scan it.
Saves doing all those tricky close up shots and you get a nice white background.
Naughty but nice on the maps though Alan.
Everyday's a school day...

Alan Breck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:45 PM »
OOPS.........Mea Culpa.......What's prison food like these days?