Author Topic: Hello from not so sunny Hayling Island  (Read 1978 times)

Grant

• View Profile
Hello from not so sunny Hayling Island
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Just joined the forum and site, looks like it's the biz.  Have already picked up some tips.  I often head up to my playground - Brecon Beacons ( take the boy out of the valleys but you cant take the valleys out of the boy) and wild camp and wander and practice Nav there, but the tips I have come across are amazing, always ready and willing to learn.

Look forward to hearing from you soon, going over to maps now to put up a question on mapping!!

Regards

Grant

Pete McK

• View Profile
Re: Hello from not so sunny Hayling Island
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Hi Grant and welcome to this community.

I have learned loads from it and its a good crew.

How about posting some of your routes and trips in the Beacons? Its an area I have not been to and it would be good toget the 'inside track'  ;)

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
I could well do that, will have a nose and jot a few down.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »
Welcome on board Grant :)

I am guessing your round trip to the Brecon Beacons National Park must be well over 300 miles so they must hold some magic for you. I learned that the area was designated as a National Park around the time of my birth, and one February night, when I was lying in canvass that leaked with boots that had long given up trying to keep the water out and knew that I had at most 3 hours sleep before we set off again I wished they had just left the area alone and let the developers get in  ;)

Then, a few years later, I was touring Wales in an old Renault 4 with a girlfriend, and we came across Llandeilo, a town named after one of the better-known Celtic Saints, Saint Teilo, and discovered the magnificent Dinefwr Castle and Carreg Cennen it started what was to become a life-long love of the Beacons. The whole area is so rich in history, with loads of great little villages, rivers to kayak and views to die for. My favourite, for lots of personal reasons, remains sugar Loaf and the Black Mountains, on a summers evening, as the sun sets. In the 30 years I have now been visiting the area has changed little with the exception of more visitors, but the spin off to this increase has been better pubs and better grub. I particularly like the tradition of local farms offering camping, sometimes for no more than half a dozen tents, in a remote field, and on occasion I have actually just turned up at a farm that does not offer camping, to politely ask if we can camp, and more than often received the answer yes.

If you could share some of your ‘off the beaten track’ walks and any recommends for places to stay/eat that would be just great.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Hi Lyle

First things first - great book, learning little tips and hints already - thanks.

Most of my ramblings ( the walking kind, will discuss drinking kind in a mo) often start at the Storey Arms outbound centre on the A470, lots of parking there and it's FREE!!

For a first timer to the Beacons you have to do the Fan and bits.  The path that leads up from the left of the Storey Arms is the steepest but more rewarding - not so touristy, this takes you up to Corn Du, then along to Pen Y Fan, 886m ( highest point in Britain south of Snowdonia I believe.), the path then takes you along to Cribyn, there is a great steep path here with good exposure over the valley to the north.  After Cribyn head south towards the Upper Neuadd reservoir, camp here.  Grid ref SO 028194, right next to the reservoir, purely beautiful sight.  The next day head back up onto the peaks and take in Fan Y Big !!, no giggling please, and then head back towards the Storey Arms.  Then head in your car towards Brecon where you will come across the Tai'r Bull pub on your left, a lovely pint of Brains Ale is served here - this is where frequently the other sort of ramblings occur!!

Other camp locations I have used are dotted around the park.  A lovely one I have used is at the foot of the big peaks - and again not a million miles from the above mentioned pub - theme building here!  Grid ref SO 026231 in Cwm Sere.  As you can see from the map it is in a valley so the cold air does slip down in the night but is a great view of the peaks.

A camp site I have used once and will be again in Sept. is the Grawen Camp site, SO 015111, this is just off the A470, basic site, very friendly owners and perfect as a base camp.  I used it as such for the Mountain Trail Challenge - again this year.  Their phone No is 01685 723740 - on the internet as well.

My most recent venture out was again starting at the Storey Arms and then headed out westwards, straight up Fan Fawr, it's been teasing me for ages!! I then headed over to the north of Ystrafellte reservoir and camped at grid ref SN 942205.  There are great views to the west from here and you do feel very small and insignificant in this backdrop.

Next morning took in Fan Nedd - she is a steep one, bless her then headed south off her ridge and into Ystrafellte village and had a wonderful couple of pints of cider.  From there I headed east from behind the post office, over the moors and back to the Storey Arms - a good walk.

Sorry if I rambled on, get carried away.  Must get back to planning a three nighter on the Cairngorm Plateau in Jan next year, that should be a great experience.  Went there in Nov last year and stayed by a river, cooking over a fire etc, great.

Grant

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Hi Grant, you seem to be the man in the know about the BB’s.

I have visited it a lot, but always fall into the Indian restaurant trap – I read the menu from cover to cover then order what I always order ;) So the off-the-beaten track routes and campsites are most welcome.

Good to have you here.

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »
Thanks Callum

If ever you or anyone fancies a sortie out there, give me notice and I will see if I can get some leave and join you - cant get enough of the place.  Haha

Grant

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Hi Grant.

Hayling Island! I used to live on the Island I hated every moment I was so happy when I was finally released. lol

Adi
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
Haha

It's not that bad Adi, takes a bit of getting used to, when I first de-mobbed I wasn't too keen - age has mellowed me and now I take advantage of the sea, windsurfing - yes I am a WAFI!! Bushcrafting for the occasional night hidden away on the Billy trail or the Kench or 1/4 hr away in Queen Elizabeth Country park and the Downs.

I feel I have the best of all worlds, Beacons only a few Hrs away.

Regards

Grant

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
Yeah it aint to bad living in this part of the world. It has managed to keep me after de-mobbing from Thorney Island nearly 20 years ago now!
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche