Author Topic: Silva Type 4/54  (Read 6369 times)

Rescuerkw

Silva Type 4/54
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »
A curious thing - I have for some time owned and regularly used amongst the collection of compasses I possess, a Silva Type 4/54 compass. I've found it to be reasonably good for map/nav work and at a cost of about 25 really good value. However, I noticed recently that Karrimor were advertising a compass that appeared to be all but identical for just 6! - in fact it was 3 as it was being offered in a sale! Well, I just had to buy one to compare the two, and when it arrived by post I put it alongside the Silva compass and there was very little difference (if any) between the two. The baseplate is completely identical with the exception of the little plastic feet that stop it skidding around - they are absent on the Karrimor compass. However, the recesses are there for them. The compass and bezel look very much the same and using them as a pair, both indicated north identically without variation. So what about that? All the markings are precisely the same and in identical proportions - it's almost spooky. Worth getting one if you need a spare compass I would say! :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:10:36 AM by Rescuerkw »

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Silva Type 4/54
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
LOL I see this a lot. I was teaching a Nav course at an childrens adventure travel company and they said we have loads of compasses, when I first saw them I thought great 4/54's but on closer inspection they were not Silva. When I inquired about them I was told they had been bought from places like Tesco's, 1 shops, Aldi and the like and they cost around 3 pound each. Well when it came to using them not one gave the same bearing as the other.

I have just checked Karrimor website and they are listed on there and they do look similar. Maybe they have bought a mass purchase of branded silva compasses. Lets hope they live up to your expectations.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Rescuerkw

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Hi Adi, the construction of the karrimor one is so close to the Silva 4/54 that I find it believable that both have been constructed by one supplier. Having compared accuracy, there is little to tell the two apart, so a curious thing indeed. You should get one and see what you think.

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
Just had a look at the Karrimor web site to see what they were selling.
It does look a dead ringer for a 4/54 apart from the black bezel ring.
Rummaging through my collection of other compasses I've found a Eurohike that looks exactly like the Karrimor.
Silva must have produced them both and stamped on a different brand name.
On the subject of 1 compasses. I got one for a 1 in the M&S sale just after Christmas, reduced from 5.
It's unusable though. Don't know what's in the needle housing, but it turns so slowly you could make tea before it decides to point vaguely in a northerly direction.
The only place I've ever bought something cheap that worked was TKMax. Got a Silva 7 for 2.
It's a good place to look because there are often "outdoor bargains". I think they just think of a number and slap on the label.
Got a GoreTex Paclite for 20 there a few years ago, normal price at the time 120.
Everyday's a school day...

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
Yes Egg, bought my last set of walking poles from TKMax, 10 where the normal price (Cotswolds) was 45!