Author Topic: How not to use a compass  (Read 2564 times)

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
How not to use a compass
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
Last Sunday, I watched The Big Country, made in 1958 and one of my favourite westerns (yes, I'm a sucker for them mainly, I suppose because I'm a geriatric dwarf and all my life I've longed to be a real man). Gregory Peck played the part of an eastern dud who was the captain of a ship. He came to claim his bride who lived on a large ranch in what looked like west Texas. The cast also included Charlton Heston, the exquisitely beautiful Jean Simmons and Burl Ives who, in my opinion, was the most accomplished actor in the film.

Peck made a solo journey across the desert navigating with a compass (as a sailor does). There was a shot of him sitting on his horse taking a compass bearing. He had no map, and I can't imagine what effect the horse's harness had on his compass needle. It's amazing that he actually reached his destination.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hugh

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: How not to use a compass
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
Hugh, I am afraid that I am going to have to take issue with your posting.

In my opinion The exquisitely beautiful American actress was Maureen O’Hara and Jean Simmons runs a second best. In John Ford’s truly magnificent film ‘The Quiet Man’ her beauty, and fiery personality, surpassed that of all other actresses and it is the film that I revisit more than any other – plus I have a love for the west coast of Ireland.

Oh and since you confess, I too will to wanting to emulate John Wayne ;)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
Hugh, with John Wayne, Peck and director John Ford everything was possible. I also love those movies!

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Barry G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
Hugh, I am afraid that I am going to have to take issue with your posting.

In my opinion The exquisitely beautiful American actress was Maureen O’Hara and Jean Simmons runs a second best. In John Ford’s truly magnificent film ‘The Quiet Man’ her beauty, and fiery personality, surpassed that of all other actresses and it is the film that I revisit more than any other – plus I have a love for the west coast of Ireland.

Oh and since you confess, I too will to wanting to emulate John Wayne ;)

Lyle, the Quiet Man is my wife's favorite as well, she has a VHS and DVD of the movie and she watches it whenever she needs a lift. I'm sure you've noticed that most of Waynes's movies has the same actors and we never got tired of watching them! My favorite in the Quiet Man was Barry Fitzgerald.

Barry
"What  is, is best"

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Best and I think one of the longest fight scenes in movie history, all shot on location in Ireland. The Quiet Man was one of my old man’s favourites and because of this mine too - gets my vote ;)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »
It was a rainy Sunday afternoon, back in the days when I lived on a housing estate in Berkshire, and I watched this film for the first time. The Conamara mountain range, above Killary Harbour, the Maam Valley, Lough Corrib in the west of County of Galway, Ireland, Donnelly’s and the croft he converted, deep in the Irish countryside, were all part of my inspiration to many years later live where I do now – Ireland had been on the list yet was pipped at the post because of my ancestral links to Scotland. A GREAT film :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato