Author Topic: Great British Bothies  (Read 2595 times)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Great British Bothies
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:44 AM »

A BIG thanks to Neil Reid for allowing me to use this excellent photograph :)

At the weekend I past the Hutchison Memorial Hut, Grid Ref NO 0234 9987 in the Cairngorms and what a transformation it has been thru. Six years ago I stayed there and it had a leaking roof, broken floor boards and frankly my tent would have been more comfortable.

10/10 to the Mountain Bothies Association that maintain and renovate these brilliant facilities, found throughout Scotland and the UK. I recommend anyone who enjoys our great outdoors to make as donation to help them continue their sterling work, this link takes you directly to their site

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/make_a_donation.asp 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:01:07 PM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

snowflakeandjames

• Infected by a Snowflake, Incurable
    • View Profile
Re: Great British Bothies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
This was how it looked inside on februari 2011

Marc

snowflakeandjames

• Infected by a Snowflake, Incurable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
Again with the picture

cairngormwanderer

• View Profile
    • Cairngormwanderer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Just for reference, the inside picture from February 2011 is actually the interior of Ryvoan Bothy near Glen More. The Hutchie looked a lot worse than that before it was done up.

cairngormwanderer

• View Profile
    • Cairngormwanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
Don't know where best to put this info, but it's worth knowing that, when you're at the Hutchison Hut, a mobile phone signal can be obtained by going to the summit of the prominent hillock about half a kilometre to the east (NO 027 996) and walking 10 yards or so downhill to the east, where you'll find a small cairn. You can get a Vodaphone signal from this point and, of course, access from any network to emergency 112 calls. (Thanks Lyle, by the way, for that informative YouTube clip on 112 calls.)

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Cairngormwanderer, your local knowledge is invaluable and I guess that we all have similar local knowledge for mobile reception. I know that this might appear to be a massive task, but individually it would require very little work, so how about creating a mountain map with reception hotspots? Anyone interested?

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
What a great idea Callum. 

We would also need to include which network worked where.  As a personal generalised experiance I have found that in Snowdonia Virgin Mobile works quite well and has signifantly better coverage than Vodafone. Only able to give a few precise examples of what works where. Up top and some slopes of Y Garn, Y Lliwed, Trefan, Carnedd Llewellyn were all good for Virgin.  Vodafone along with Virgin worked on top of Foel-goch.

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
mountain map with reception hotspots?
Maybe reception waypoints (listing?). Can probably be posted on the site.
Ivo

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
Fantastic suggestion Callum, are you prepared to coordinate it?
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
Yes I am happy to run with this one. I will work out exactly how to both compile the data and make it easily accessible, I like Ivo’s suggestion of waypoints.

boogyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
Most cell phones give an indication of the signal strength. Could be interesting to gather signal strengths on different points, say on a scale from 0 to 5.

One difficulty (I believe) would be to know what "the best" signal strength is on a given location -- you would need to try out all network providers, and I am not sure whether a cell phone would be concerned with providers to which it is not allowed to connect, except for emergency calls.

In other words: how can you measure the signal strength in a spot where your phone could only connect to an emergency number?