Author Topic: Garmin eTrex H - hey presto  (Read 12774 times)

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
Re: Garmin eTrex H - hey presto
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
Hi Simon,

Seems that there is most certainly some form of incompatibility related to the OS or combination of software apps together with the OS. Think not worth to investigate, it would be a cumbersome process, really something for the hobbiests. For now, the workaround works, happy with that.

regards,

Ivo
Ivo

Lost Soul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
I have been following this thread with casual interest.  I recognise a generic problem here with Windows operating systems in that suddenly and for no good reason a device won’t work or is not recognised.  It was all fine yesterday so why not to-day.  Trot off to my local computer shop. 

Can they find any fault?  No.  Inevitably the conclusion is that some strange and unknown problem has occurred within the operating system.  And I think that is evident from the fact that your gadget won’t fully work with your computer but it is perfectly fine on other peoples machines. 

The longer the operating system has been in use and the more utility programmes that have been loaded the greater the risk of such a hidden fault developing.  There really is only one way to fix it.  And that is to bit the bullet and completely reload the operating system.

For me it has worked every time.  Total pain in the rear end.  Particularly when you have quite a number of utility programmes that are going to have to be reloaded too.  But the performance improvements and restoration of functionality due to the freshly loaded software is quite remarkable.  Until of course it slowly gets all gummed up again.

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
LS, true. One of the reaons is that application vendors make faults (e.g. not deinstalling what they should when removed) as well and secondly you can do maintenance on your OS, by tooling of the OS itself but also by performance programs. An example is defragmenting your disk, which is a common thing. Many other ways. Also, if you do not restart regularly your RAM will clog up, also because of the assignment of RAM blocks by applications and windows itself.
Ivo

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Just to clarify for other readers of this thread and for me ;)

Silkylemon, you were unable to connect your eTrex H to your 64bit PC and thereby Google Earth, to download and upload tracks and waypoints between the two.

You downloaded Mapsource, which is a free downloadable program from Garmin http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

This program creates the bridge (View/View in Google Earth) which works perfectly well.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Silkylemon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
Lyle, as far as getting data from the eTrex to Google Earth, that’s it in a nutshell. To go the other way around, you first have to:
1. Save the data generated in Google Earth to file (using “Save Place As...” command in Google Earth).
2. Convert the resulting KML or KMZ file(s) to the GPX file format (Mapsource doesn’t recognize KML or KMZ files). I followed the instructions, and links to free conversion software found at http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7358927_convert-kmz-file-gpx.html - but understand there are many such programs freely available.
3. Open the GPX file(s) in Mapsource and load onto device using “Transfer/Send To Device...”.

Ivo, I did a little maintenance using Norton Utilities (i.e. cleaning and compacting the registry, defragmenting the hard drive etc). This hasn’t fixed the issue, but as I haven’t cleared the clutter for some time it was certainly worth trying.

Lost Soul, thanks for your insights. Reloading the operating system is a very plausible solution which I hadn’t considered, but a big upheaval in this case. It’s something I would have been prepared to try, but the Mapsource fix is not so tedious a task to warrant the time this would take.

Simon

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
Reloading sounds easy and yes, reinstalling an OS (windows) in essence is easy but it does take quite some time, depending on the overal setup. I make an image of the full disk using driveimage (cheap tool but top of the bill) after an OS install and all application I would normally use (putting that back takes maybe 20 mins depending on hardware speed). I have a second image which is my working backup. With a fres install (placing back image and updating patch level) you could start troubleschooting again. I mean there is much more which one could do but it seems a bit too much hassle seen the workaround you have.
Ivo