Author Topic: Hi Lyle and forum users!  (Read 1412 times)

janso

• View Profile
Hi Lyle and forum users!
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »
Hi all :),

Just had a quick peek around the forum after purchasing a long awaited book (Hmm, who's could it be?!  ;)) and - I Like! Looks like the start of an excellent resource for like-minded navigators to trade knowledge, thoughts and experience. At present I am lecturing land nav to college students and having a really hard time trying to pass on my enthusiasm for navigation; well, at least on Monday mornings!! It may be something to do with having to wake them up with some good old Cornish air ;D ;D!! Up on Dartmoor next weekend, so maybe that will help!

I hope to check in quite regularly, so look out for someone asking plenty of questions and looking for fresh advice and ideas! Being part of the county search and rescue, I like the idea I've already seen about having a section devoted to resources that may be of use to others from a SAR perspective or that which may help SAR navigation, we DEFINITELY make nav errors too!

Cheers for now

adi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Lyle and forum users!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
Hi Janso welcome to the forum. I find kids need to have a drive to get into the hill to be bothered to learn nav. Although most kids enjoy it once they start to understand it.

I am sure they will enjoy Dartmoor next weekend though. I am up there the first week of next month and I cant wait. I have not really been up there since I was a kid doing ten tours, exercises with the cadets and with mates just out having a laugh. I love Dartmoor.
"We do not belong to those who only get their thought from books, or at the prompting of books - it is our custom to think in the open air, walking, leaping, climbing or dancing, of lonesome mountains by preference, or close to the sea, where even the paths become thoughtful." Friedrich Nietzsche

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:40:24 AM »
Great to have you on-board Janso  :)

Having a mixture of folk new to navigation to seasoned navigation instructors like you, Adi, Egg and Callum et al is what will really give this Forum value and significance; Igenuinely belive we can make this Forum really large, global, relevant and informative.

I have a few ideas about how I can share my experience with you guys to help you in teaching your students – your thoughts appreciated.

I recently posted the background to my development of Motorway Exit Syndrome and think that if I give you an illustrative background to each of the techniques it will help you harness the natural power of stories to bring your teaching strategy to life.

Interestingly, I personally used this technique to remember the techniques I witnessed being used in the field over the last seven years, from watching in disbelief as the Unit Commander of Alpha Spetsnaz told me the precise angle of the Arctic slope he was on, and the distance this would represent in the contour spacing on his map, by simply facing down the slope on his skis to transferring a set bearing through the baseplate compass onto skis, after which I immediately pushed forward straight over the side of the Mönch into freefall for 200m before affecting an ice-axe arrest (totally unintended!)

The other possibility comes from a recent request from The Regional Commander of the Northern Irish Community Rescue Service, Sean McCarry, who has asked if slide of images from the book could be made available for teaching purposes; these would include the photographs and the diagrams. I am happy to do this and can add in many more images – some 2500 photographs were taken in the making of the book – to illustrate the various techniques. It will take me a while to compile and maybe you guys would be interested in helping me achieve this?

Today I will create a new section for SAR plus also I think it is time to separate out Satnav.

Any of you seasoned campaigners interested in moderating section(s) of the Forum along with me?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:52:07 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

janso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I've finally read through all of the book and found it hugely addictive - I actually think I'm becoming a nav addict! If there was a way of having access to lesson formats, powerpoints, etc then this would be a really great idea I think. I spent nearly two days last year putting together a powerpoint on the UK Grid System making it hugely animated to show the breakdown to prefixes and then 4, 6 & 8 GR's which really helped students understand where it all comes from and why we take a GR the eway we do - something I never really knew or was taught before in my teens...

It does take up such a long time to get it right so developing any kind of ICT resources would take its toll especially in relation to the book content!

Something to put off until the summer holidays I think!! ;)

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:29:16 PM »
Creating any sort of ICT based learning/teaching resource can be very time consuming.
I've always found that the minimalist approach produces better results and reduces the production time.
The link below shows how to structure this type of approach.

http://blog.cathy-moore.com/2008/05/be-an-elearning-action-hero/

Using a method like this really gives a tight focus on the relevance of all content.
Everyday's a school day...

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
Great link Egg, thx  ;)