General > New Member Introductions

Hello from Moray

(1/3) > >>

Oakleaf:
With what will undoubtedly be an audible sigh of relief from Mr Brotherton - who I suspect believes I'm stalking him ( pun intended ) - all set up and logged in.  I do apologise to Admin for the hassle in getting thing resolved and thank you for your patience.

I'm Andy, self-employed, working mainly in Deer Management - and deer related training in particular.  I also do what is now termed Bushcraft, but am old enough to remember when it was just called  'being outside'  ;)  and formal training was having read Anthony Greenbank's Survival for Young People!

My current work is really just a natural progression of a life long interest in most things outdoors that's taken me through training as a Geologist, ending up as an Accountant with the DTi to now delivering deer stalker training. It was a convoluted route to an obvious place looking back!

This forum is  a great resource and I hope I can contribute in a meaningful way.

captain paranoia:
>  and formal training was having read Anthony Greenbank's Survival for Young People!

Hi Andy, great book; it kept me entertained when I wasn't running around the woods of the local army training ground...

I've deleted your other account application to 'keep things tidy'...

Oakleaf:
CP thank you.  Genuine apology for complicating things and thanks for your efforts. Went with this account as seemed the best choice.

It was interesting that Lyle called me ( only to VM ) and felt obliged to defend both the Goatee and Maureen O'Hara  :) - I suspect he has a measure of my sense of humour already!

Lost Soul:
Hi Oakleaf, welcome to a great forum for all things navigational.

Callum:
Hi Oakleaf - check your junk email folder, I suspect there may be an email from me in there for you ;)

It is strange how we travel through our careers to a final position we could have seen at the beginning if only we had looked hard enough, probably a similar story for you too Oakleaf,

As a kid as soon as I got back from school I was out ranging on the Lakeland Fells and had the benefit of a father who being a hill sheep farmer had taught me much about hill craft and looking back I realise what freedom me and my brother enjoyed, very different for the kids of today, including my own, where parents can be over-protective. The Army seemed a natural choice but the countryside of County Antrim was not a place I roamed free;)

Today, running the centre which gives youngsters, from all walks of life, a chance to challenge themselves in the fells is where I wanted to be at 18, my journey took me 20 years to reach my destination. Maybe there is a need for a career navigation book, any takers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version