Author Topic: Notification of posts  (Read 1090 times)

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
Notification of posts
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:30:14 AM »
Lyle

It is the nature of specialized forums like this one that posts are relatively infrequent which means that members often check fruitlessly. Would it be possible for an automatic notification be sent to all members whenever a new post appears?

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S. Eliot.

boogyman

• View Profile
Re: Notification of posts
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
Hi Hugh,

Most probably you are aware, but just for in case... You can enable notifications per board, and within a board per thread. Just click the "Notify" button and confirm.

Best regards,
Chris.

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
Thanks, Chris, this is a practice that I follow but it does not cover the wider point I was trying to make.

I belong to a forum devoted to Ordnance Survey maps (https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ordnancemaps/info) which notifies members of all posts received on the forum. Like this forum, there can be a gap of several days between posts appearing on the forum but, unlike Micronavigation, it is not necessary to check for new posts because an email will notify you whenever one is received.

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S. Eliot.

admin

• Administrator
  • I'm Lost...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
Thanks, Chris, this is a practice that I follow but it does not cover the wider point I was trying to make.

I belong to a forum devoted to Ordnance Survey maps (https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ordnancemaps/info) which notifies members of all posts received on the forum. Like this forum, there can be a gap of several days between posts appearing on the forum but, unlike Micronavigation, it is not necessary to check for new posts because an email will notify you whenever one is received.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I'm afraid global email notification is not possible - Some reasons I found:
There are laws in place now about sending emails in bulk in most countries about preventing spam. It is for this reason there is no option (and never will be) for opting users in like that.
And it's heavy on the server bandwidth.

As stated you can get around it by clicking the “Notify” tab in each board.

Does the yahoo forum you mention have only one section or many like this site? (that link doesn't work BTW)