Author Topic: Roll/Sleeping Mat Advice.  (Read 3796 times)

Sandy Sanderson

• View Profile
Roll/Sleeping Mat Advice.
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Hello,

I’m looking at replacing my none existent sleeping mat and was wondering what style to go for.

My last one was a 4 Season ex-military foam mat (that they still use today or the navy just hasn’t kept up with the rest of the Armed Forces) which I cut down to just cover to below my back.  I also used it as a liner for my rucksack as it made a nice round tube to pack every thing into.

I’m looking for something light weight but at the same time stops the ground temp from coming up. 

I have looked at the Vango and Therm-a-rest self-inflating ones but they still look a little bulky and too long, as im happy for it only to cover from my head to the top half of my legs.

The one that I’m looking at purchasing is Ajungilak Alpine Mat.  I have never heard of this company, but i saw it on Amazon for £35 where as the rest where about £6 telling me either the others are not worth having or the seller is trying to pull a fast one.

Any advice or suggested products would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
Re: Roll/Sleeping Mat Advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
Welcome to the friendliest of forums, Sandy!

I'm afraid that the younger generation has gone soft and now expect self-inflating sleeping mats (they can't even bother to inflate them themselves!)

I come from a sterner generation and have used a Karrimat for at least the past forty years and it's still serviceable. I am a geriatric dwarf and I cut the mat so that it protects my trunk from my shoulders to my fundament.

Unfortunately, they are no longer made but I have found what may be an acceptable substitute http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Multimat/CamperFoamMat.aspx?gclid=CNONusnU1L8CFcrpwgodoiQAIg. Like you, I roll the mat inside my rucksack which helps to keep its shape.

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled.
T.S.Eliot

Oakleaf

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Profile on LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:17 AM »
Horses for courses to a large extent.

In terms of tough - I have some of the ultra thick green closed cell foam mats - possibly ex German Army? - Bomb proof and ok - but pretty bulky.

Have a partner who has had back surgery prompted trying Thermarest a good few years ago.  I looked askance at the inflated design and lugged around repair patches in abundance - but haven't managed to pierce one over a good few years now.

With advancing years and stomach, combined with doing a lot of Hammocking I dropped on Tamarack doing a sale on Exped  downfilled mats. I went for an Exped7 or something - circa 3/4 length. It compresses to the packed size of a double fist.  Too early to comment on puncture resistance and the cave-man area of my brain remains concerned at the 'preference' to use an inflation bag to set it up. BUT...

my oh my is it comfy!  Not tried it on really cold surface yet, but it is considerably warmer than anything I have used before.

I believe there are similar systems by other makers - Neo Air?  That people rave about, but I haven't used or seen them yet.

If the Exped type arrangement meets your needs in terms of being tough enough, I think you'll be more than happy with pack size and performance.

Hope that helps.

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:33 AM »
My trusty Karrimat stayed with me until a mishap 2 years ago when all of my kit was taken from the back of my car >:(

As Hugh says, the Karrimat does the job, although it was bulky to carry. I bought a cheap foil backed foam mat from Cotswold, the price of these, compared to the inflatables, was nothing, plus the weight of the inflatables with many around 1.5kg and some even 2kg put me off. This mat was fine for sitting on, but not good enough for a descent night kip.

Then a colleague of mine lent me his Exped SynMat Ultralite 7 Camping Mat and this ticked all the boxes except for price. Firstly, it weighs only 460 grams and is made of a very tough material so punctures would be rare, I blew it up in under two minutes inside my tent and slept like a baby! I paid £100 for mine, which is the large as I am 6’2”. I see now they have dropped in price to around £70. The only problem I have had with it is that peat stains, which is in abundance in the Lake District, do not wash off so the mat looks grubby even when it is clean.

Hugh Westacott

• View Profile
    • Walk with Westacott
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
I suppose that I'm one of those irritatingly fortunate people who can sleep well however hard the surface, even on a concrete floor, providing that I'm sufficiently warm.

My cut-down Karrimat, which I find ideal for three-season use, weighs 130 grammes.

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S.Eliot

Sandy Sanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »
Well I have taken the plunge,

I have read some reviews about the Exped SynMat Ultralite 9 I really can’t believe the thickness they are and the size they pack down to.

There is now way I would be able to get a foam mat down to the size of these packed.  90mm thickness for something that packs to 230mm by 130mm at 589g is amazing.

My only worry now will be getting up in the morning and not sleeping in if they are really that comfy.

Cheers for the advice.

Sandy

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
Late to the party but my two penneth worth is the Multimat discovery, at only £20 and 350g it’s a winner for me, plus I get a good night’s sleep on it.

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Pete, I have been looking to replace my mat for ages, its around 20 years old and well worn and torn. The Multimat looks ideal for me, thx   :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:38:26 AM by Lyle Brotherton »
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Callum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
I'd try the Exped SynMat Ultralite 9 first if I were you Lyle, it's remarkable ;)

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
Good suggestion Cal :)
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

krenaud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
As I've gotten older I have started to value comfort more and I love my Exped Synmat 7LW. Works great as a three season mat and combined with a Therm-a-rest Ridgerest SoLite it also works in really cold temperatures.

My wife has an Ajungilak/Mamut comfort mat which I think weighs a bit too much, but it is just as comfy and has a slightly higher R-value than my Exped. Ajungilak is a Norwegian company famous for their great sleeping bags and down quilts. They have been bought by Mamut.

In any case it is a must to buy an Exped Schnozzle Pumpbag which is a pack sack which doubles as a pump. Open the bag to fill it with air and roll it to fill the mat. It makes pumping the mat a LOT quicker.

The Pumpbag fits all Ajungilak/Mamut mats and Synmat/Downmats which don't have an integrated pump. Exped models with an integrated pump need an adapter, but it is worth it since the integrated pump is SLOW to use.

Locus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
Below is the one I've been using for about two years now.

Multimat Adventure Superlite 25 Body-Shape Full Length Self-inflating Mat

Quite a mouthfull I know, but there are many editions of MultiMat released with similar sounding names. If memory serves, it was bought for less money than appears above, by digging deep on search results. Overall I've been happy with it, and it has been through the mill in all sorts of environments where it should have been protected more. Only in the last month or so am I suspecting micro punctures or perhaps the valve on its way out, as by morning it has now deflated quite a lot. Perhaps my over confidence with it began to catch up with me eventually? One of its major plus points is how thin this can be in a backpack, once deflated. Another mat one I own is the Alpkit Base 180, roughly £30 when purchased, far bulkier in a pack once deflated and almost twice the weight of the MultiMat but better for winter use really. Alpkit is notorious for being out of stock of items you want, but the current issue now with their mats is no stock this year due to the factory they used, closing. Alpkit's mat range may resurface suddenly one day though. Worth keeping an eye out.

Brynglas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 01:37:37 AM »
Having used my Pussers foam mat until it fell apart I went and bought a thermarest self inflating mat. As I've got older I have definitely come to appreciate the comfort provided by the self inflating mats. For lighter trips I have a 3\4 length 'Lite' mat which packs up very small and is long enough for my torso and backside. The good quality foam mats are also very good but I have to say that I'm a convert to the self inflating mats nowadays.