Author Topic: Eye Height  (Read 2401 times)

Stu

• View Profile
Eye Height
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
Hi,
I use this meathod if I wish to go up/down a number of contour intervals [10m] when contouring, or if the slope is too steep to accuratly pace etc
My eye height is approx 1.5m..so 6 eye heights and about a waist height is 10m.
Going up slope, I look straight at the slope and choose a stering mark [microfeature in Lyle's book] ie stone/rock, clump of grass etc then walk up slope till it is at my feet, and do this 6 times and about a meter which equals a 10m contour interval. If the slope is to steep to walk straight up then I choose stering marks alternatively to the left and right and zig-zag up the slope, if you pick the same distance [left/right] then you can also keep the same direction.
Going down slope, I reverse the process ie pick a stering mark at my feet and walk down untill it is level with my eyes. this is a bit more involved as you have to keep looking back untill you are at the correct level
I find that this works well in practice and is far more accurate than pacing as the slope get steeper
Hope this helps someone
regards
Stu
I'm always disorientated...its just the degree that varies!

Stu

• View Profile
Re: Eye Height
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
PS
Can be practiced on a flight of stairs
I'm always disorientated...its just the degree that varies!

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
Looks an interesting one Stu...

Going to have a go at it on my stairs and see what happens.
Everyday's a school day...

woutersch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
From my experience with teaching contour lines: people have a very bad perception of horizontality in hilly country. I would not use this method. I would rely on the contour lines on my map and read them well.