Author Topic: Greetings from Holland  (Read 1969 times)

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
Greetings from Holland
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:52 AM »
Hi, my name is Ivo and just enrolled in the forum after receiving Lyle's book in the mail. In my daily job I manage IT projects at Philips Netherlands and besides that I have a teaching degree in geography. My main hobby is hiking, wilderness survival, bushcraft. I also have a one-man bussiness (for fun) in which I teach basic navigation courses of which I did one so far :-) which gave me the feedback I needed to further tweak it. I am currently busy designing the advanced course which is nearly finished. I have loads of books on navigation and this seems to be the most comprehensive one, with a focus on "need to know" topics and very nice, clear illustrations. I used the teaching approach from NNAS as a guide for my course setup but am beginning to change it here and there. So far I used the W. Linke manual as my main referrence, also because it has exercises in it I can use for the course. My course is plit in a theoretical part in a classroom setting and a practical part in which we apply all theory. All done from a small town in The Netherlands. What I have seen so far the book explains a lot of must know terminology short and sweet. For me, it took some time to get the know all the terminology in English and now...I know it better than in Dutch. I have the english version, not the Dutch version.

Long story...but I wanted to get past the point of saying, Hi..I am Ivo and I bought your book :-)

Ivo

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Holland
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
Hi Ivo...
Welcome to the forum.
We will be looking forward to you sharing your knowledge and experiences with us.
Cheers
Bob
Everyday's a school day...

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:35:18 PM »
Welcome aboard Ivo and thank you for buying the book :)

Early 80's I lived in Holland for a year just south of Leiden and our eldest son has just come back from living in Rotterdam. The dune areas were always a challenge to navigate, on one trip I went south with a Dutch medic called Martin Personair (sp) and an Israli former tank commander, David Navah, somewhere near Middelburg, to a nuclear power plant and the large flat dune areas seemed like a different world.

Plus great kite surfing at a place south of Wassenaar withy a name that sounded like Schreviningar (?) followed by drinking Amstel and frites mit mayo: Happy Days :)

Good to have you in the Forum.

“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Skills4Survival

• Know the concepts !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
Welcome aboard Ivo and thank you for buying the book :)

Early 80's I lived in Holland for a year just south of Leiden and our eldest son has just come back from living in Rotterdam. The dune areas were always a challenge to navigate, on one trip I went south with a Dutch medic called Martin Personair (sp) and an Israli former tank commander, David Navah, somewhere near Middelburg, to a nuclear power plant and the large flat dune areas seemed like a different world.

Plus great kite surfing at a place south of Wassenaar withy a name that sounded like Schreviningar (?) followed by drinking Amstel and frites mit mayo: Happy Days :)

Good to have you in the Forum.

Thanks. The name is "Scheveningen" which is indeed a coastal city and very well known during summer (linked to your Amstel remark). Yes the dunes can look quite "outside of this earth" and ...we have inland dunes as well. You will see the difference in vegetation but we have dunes in the south and centre of Holland as well, which make indeed a great place for navigation exercises :-).

https://picasaweb.google.com/ivo.brugman/DunenseDuinen2011Deel1?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNHBtuKK_qy0_AE&feat=directlink

You see the last part of photo's? I only covered the eastern part in my hike, next time I will take the western part which will have about a 1km or maybe even a mile of open sand space. Photo 31 will look familiar if you do a way with the trees.

Area:
51N 39' 11''
5E 07' 39''

Ivo