Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 3055 times)

Speedbird

• View Profile
Hello to all
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
A quick hello to all on the forum hope you are well.

I am John and live in Berkshire, so not much in the way of mountains and hills around here but not too far from the open spaces and some decent hikes. Thanks to Lyle for a superb navigation  manual a book I have learnt quite a bit from. I have to say that before registering here I read practically every post and already there is some excellent advice and information which has helped me understand some things I was unsure of.

It looks very promising on here and I like the high standard of the input. Hoping to build on my navigation skills and appreciate the work put into the site.

Regards

John.
Regards
John

Lyle Brotherton

• Administrator
  • Competent and safe navigation sets you free.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to all
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
..and thank you John for both joining and your kind words about the UNM :)

I too have learned things from our small yet growing community:navigation is such a massive and fascinating subject.
“Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance” - Plato

Pete McK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
Welcome John,
Great walks by the Thames from Henley down to Maidenhead, we ended up at a pub (quelle surprise) on the river, big place but good just up from a Chinese called Chef Peking (or something similar), stayed at a B&B and following day long hike west, parallel to railway, and a week later north of Oxford.

MalcolmHandoll

• Natural Navigation and Five Senses Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Five Senses
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
Hi John,
I am new here too, so not much I can say, except welcome.
I have good memories of Windsor, Eton and Bray, and Windsor Great Park. But finally escaped to the hills of Wales, then Scotland. Went back a couple of years ago and was astounded by the changes. Feel old  :)
Anyway, all the best!
Five Senses - feel good outdoors

Egg

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
Hi John...
Good to have someone from a neighbouring county on board.
We may not have many mountains in these parts but there are still plenty of navigational challenges.
There's a wealth of experience, skills and info here as you have already discovered.
It's certainly the place to be for all things navigational.

Cheers
Bob

Everyday's a school day...

Speedbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »
Welcome John,
Great walks by the Thames from Henley down to Maidenhead, we ended up at a pub (quelle surprise) on the river, big place but good just up from a Chinese called Chef Peking (or something similar), stayed at a B&B and following day long hike west, parallel to railway, and a week later north of Oxford.

Thank you Pete. As you say there are some great walks around here and Im not too far to the Bucks border where my good lady lives so we have shared our walking guides, books and maps and found some great pubs on the way!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:57:57 PM by Speedbird »
Regards
John

Speedbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
Thanks, Malcolm and Bob,

Yes lucky to have Windsor great park on my doorstep, excellent place to practice navigation skills. My young daughter loves it there as it is full of Geocaches as well. Hope to do a bit more in the Chilterns as well later in the year time permitting of course!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:57:34 PM by Speedbird »
Regards
John