Equipment > Compasses

How not to use a compass

(1/2) > >>

Hugh Westacott:
Last Sunday, I watched The Big Country, made in 1958 and one of my favourite westerns (yes, I'm a sucker for them mainly, I suppose because I'm a geriatric dwarf and all my life I've longed to be a real man). Gregory Peck played the part of an eastern dud who was the captain of a ship. He came to claim his bride who lived on a large ranch in what looked like west Texas. The cast also included Charlton Heston, the exquisitely beautiful Jean Simmons and Burl Ives who, in my opinion, was the most accomplished actor in the film.

Peck made a solo journey across the desert navigating with a compass (as a sailor does). There was a shot of him sitting on his horse taking a compass bearing. He had no map, and I can't imagine what effect the horse's harness had on his compass needle. It's amazing that he actually reached his destination.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hugh

Lyle Brotherton:
Hugh, I am afraid that I am going to have to take issue with your posting.

In my opinion The exquisitely beautiful American actress was Maureen O’Hara and Jean Simmons runs a second best. In John Ford’s truly magnificent film ‘The Quiet Man’ her beauty, and fiery personality, surpassed that of all other actresses and it is the film that I revisit more than any other – plus I have a love for the west coast of Ireland.

Oh and since you confess, I too will to wanting to emulate John Wayne ;)

Barry G:
Hugh, with John Wayne, Peck and director John Ford everything was possible. I also love those movies!

Barry

Barry G:

--- Quote from: Lyle Brotherton on January 03, 2013, 10:41:18 AM ---Hugh, I am afraid that I am going to have to take issue with your posting.

In my opinion The exquisitely beautiful American actress was Maureen O’Hara and Jean Simmons runs a second best. In John Ford’s truly magnificent film ‘The Quiet Man’ her beauty, and fiery personality, surpassed that of all other actresses and it is the film that I revisit more than any other – plus I have a love for the west coast of Ireland.

Oh and since you confess, I too will to wanting to emulate John Wayne ;)

--- End quote ---

Lyle, the Quiet Man is my wife's favorite as well, she has a VHS and DVD of the movie and she watches it whenever she needs a lift. I'm sure you've noticed that most of Waynes's movies has the same actors and we never got tired of watching them! My favorite in the Quiet Man was Barry Fitzgerald.

Barry

Callum:
Best and I think one of the longest fight scenes in movie history, all shot on location in Ireland. The Quiet Man was one of my old man’s favourites and because of this mine too - gets my vote ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version